Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Vitamins and Minerals.

During my Junior High days and some of high school, I believed very strongly that if I consistently took my hair, nails and skin vitamins, I would awake one day with hair down to my elbows. Needless to say, things didn't quite work out as planned. It was just one of the many lessons I had to learn during my quest for my dream hair: Nothing can supplement knowledge of how to take care of your own hair.
This is not to say vitamins don't play a key role in the health of your hair. Quite the contrary. Your internal health definitely has bearing on your external beauty. So of course you need vitamins and minerals. Here's what you don't need: Unless you have a genuine deficiency, you don't need to self diagnose and self medicate.
If you have the luxury of having a daily balanced diet (because it's a luxury these days) filled with your daily recommended allowance of vitamins and nutrients, then you would be wasting your money on supplements. That's because in most cases, it's better to get your nutrients from food. The body will also excrete any excess nutrients that it doesn't need. So the idea that taking more, will give you excellerated results is false. If you're like me and you don't eat a balanced diet, then it's not a bad idea to take a multi-vitamin.
I've been taking a muti-vitamin for months now and I truly notice the difference in my roots, nails and skin. Recently, I added a fish oil capsule to the mix and my skin already feels softer.

-I would look for B vitamins, such as Biotin and Folic acid, Iron and vitamin A in a multi-vitamin.