Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Blackstrap Molasses

I've been very curious about blackstrap molasses for about a year now.
I don't know if I looked hard enough but I couldn't find it in Publix or Walmart. I went to Kroger during my lunch break and found it on a bottom shelf with the other organic products.
I thought I got the wrong kind but the only ingredient listed on the label is "Organic Blackstrap Molasses". I went on their site and confirmed that I had the right kind.

The smell is so familiar. I know it's probably used to make some kind of treat that I've smelled and disliked in the West Indies. The taste is bitter. I commend those who drink it for it's health benefits. I don't think I'd be able to get it down.

I've heard many testimonies of soft yet strong hair (and who doesn't love that) after using this stuff. I have to do a little more research before deciding how I'm going to apply this treatment.
I found one way of doing it on a site that promotes natural remedies but I can just imagine trying to glide this super sticky substance (try saying that 5X's fast) down my strands and ending up causing more harm than good.

Simply massage about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of blackstrap molasses (depending on the length of your hair) into your tresses, then cover with a shower cap and allow it to set as long as possible (for an hour or even more, if you can.) Rinse with warm water.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted and if any one has any suggestions on how to use it, I'd very much appreciate them.