Friday, January 16, 2009

Don't forget your hairline.

A receding hairline is no joke and it's never cute (Naomi). It's one of the most noticeable signs of unhealthy hair. We have an obligation to those delicate hairs that line our scalp. Having a healthy hairline is key to a polished and healthy look.

Here are a few tips that helped me sprout and keep some of those delicate hairs.

-Skip the small and tight braids an weaves. I honestly cannot fathom any amount of growth in the middle of your head being worth a hairline that has eroded two inches back. Opt for larger and looser braids in the front and tell the person braiding your hair to be gentle on the hairline.

-Cover them at night. Every night when I put on my scarf, I make sure to cover as much hair as possible. That includes the little hairs on the nape and as far down the side burns as I can go. A night of tossing and turning can reek havoc on those fragile hairs.

-Don't forget moisturize or lubricate. I used castor oil for a while and saw great results and now I use coconut oil mixed with essential oils around my hairline every night. I used to fake "baby hair" in H.S, now I have them naturally!

-Watch out for sulfates in your facial cleanser. When I'm doing my face regimen, I'm always mindful of any product coming in contact with my hair. I always rinse well with water afterward and follow with my bedtime hair regimen.

If you have any other tips that work for you, I'd love to hear them.