Thursday, January 8, 2009

R.I.P: HB Castor Oil Hair Treatment

Hollywood beauty Castor oil treatment lists some great ingredients and great promises for a 7.5 oz product that is under $3. Some of the ingredients listed on their site include: .
Holly wood beauty oil complex( Castor Oil, Mink Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Vitamin E, Jojoba oil, Paraffin Oil, Safflower and other.

I've had a tub of this product for a while (I can not think of anyone that I dislike enough to give it away to) so I know that "other" is Lanolin, Cocoa Butter, Propylparaben and fragrance.
So what's the big deal? A little propylparaben and fragrance never hurt anyone, right? My deal is this product claims to restore moisture to the scalp. This product looks like a grease, smells like a grease and acts like a grease. It sits on the scalp without penetrating (although I'm not sure I'd want it to) and thus leads to major build up. It may be effective at sealing in moisturized hair but I'm very skeptical of it's conditioning properties.

Before you go out and buy these tub-o-grease's, give some all natural oils a shot.