Tuesday, March 3, 2009

When Heat-Styling Isn't For You

I received a reader comment that I wanted to address in a post,because it brings up an excellent point:
Heat-styling isn't always practical for everyone. I'll give you several instances where I either opted to wear my natural hair or braids and cornrows:

-My trip to Scotland. I happen to enjoy dreary-rainy weather but, once I walked two blocks in that fog, my hair went Diana Ross on me.
-I went to school in the West Indies for 2 years and the heat was no joke. Everyone either had a relaxer or they wore their natural hair. I aligned with the naturals.
-During the summer in NY, after class my friends and I would find ourselves all across the boroughs exploring new places with our student metro card. All that daily walking in the hot sun coupled with the humidity was too much for a press.

Sweating profusely, certain temperatures and thick, coarse resistant hair should be taken into consideration when contemplating any style that involves heat. Otherwise, it could be a waste of time and money.