Thursday, March 12, 2009

Unavoidable Damage

Heat-Styling wash day drama.

Before learning how to properly care for my hair, I would say a lot of the damage was accumulated from manipulation and unhealthy practices between wash cycles and when wash day came around, I just expected fists of hair to come out.

Now, I've virtually eliminated damage throughout the days that precede wash day and I've drastically cut down on the amount of hair loss after washing and detangling. With heat-styling though, dry combing (the real devil for kinky hair) can't be avoided.

I detangle, while damp, before blowdrying with the concentrator on cool. When I'm combing out each small section with a rattail comb, there's bound to be some breakage. When I look at those bulb-less pieces of broken hair that could have been , I cant help but think about length being taken off. Right now I don't want anything to come between me and BSL, especially when my mother just told me hair stops growing at 18. (Pray for her). I have doubters to prove wrong!

It may be time for me to start thinking of other methods.