Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Baking Soda Treatment

The first time I heard about this treatment was on youtube from ItsMsHeatherNicole. (Click here if you haven't seen it). I thought it very brave of her to deep condition with baking soda. Then, Traycee blogged about it. Even though Traycee's relaxed, I connect with her simplicity. She's not jumping on every fad and she maintains a pretty consistent routine. So, when she gave it the OK, I decided to give it a try.

I added a Tbsp of baking soda to 3/4 a cup of Nexxuss Humectress, mixed, left it on for 15 mins with a plastic cap and rinsed. I'm a believer! It softened my hair and made it more manageable.


Now, how in the dickens does this work? I have no clue but, I recall someone on LHCF saying that she added a teaspoon of salt to her conditioner and it made her hair very soft. I thought she was crazy.
Baking soda is a chemical salt and a weak alkaline. It acts to neutralize acids and breaks down proteins making it an effective meat tenderizer.

I dont know whether this is harmful or why it does what it does and I havent found any scientific research that would bring to me recommend this as a treatment to anyone. But, if you've tried it, let me know your experience!