Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Emu oil!

I came across an article about essential oils and the author mentioned carrier oils, Jojoba (you know I ride hard for Jojoba) and Emu for dilution. She singled out Emu because of its nutrients, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
I've seen Emu oil mentioned in passing and I assumed it was one of the Ayurvedic regimen's many oils- that's why I've ignored it. My inquisitive nature led me to do a quick search and imagine my surprise when I read that the oil is derived from
the fat of a bird called the Emu. ((Gross)). After going through a few web pages, I also learned about it's healing properties. A quick Google image search will bring up pictures of scars and dry skin.
Like Jojoba, some claims say it reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and that it's
non-comedogenic. It also contains high amounts of omega 6 and 3.

Here are some of the benefits claimed on one
site:
  • Anti-inflammatory, with effects comparable to ibuprofen;
  • Bacteriostatic, does not promote the growth of bacteria;
  • Hypoallergenic, not known to cause skin irritation or have any side effects;
  • Highly penetrating, non-greasy, absorbs without leaving a greasy feel;
  • Non-comedogenic, does not clog pores.
  • Vitamin E, a major antioxidant and healing agent;
  • Vitamin A, a known skin repairer and antioxidant;
  • Linoleic acid, which eases muscle aches and joint pain;
  • Oleic acid, a proven skin cell regenerator, anti-wrinkle agent;
  • Sapogens, proven skin softeners;
  • Terpines, known antiseptics.
There's also another article on why you should exercise caution when using Emu oil. To read it click here. And if you care, you can read up on Demi Moore's use of the oil here.

I don't know about you, but I'm intrigued. If anyone uses it, please let me know how it works for you!