Monday, February 9, 2009

Corn Oil

One of the Carol's Daughter products I used contains corn oil so I took it upon myself to do a little wiki research on it.
Here's what I found:

Corn oil is extracted from the germ of corn . Its main use is in cooking, where its high smoke point makes it a valuable frying oil. It is also a key ingredient in some margarine's. Corn oil has a milder taste and is less expensive than most other types of vegetable oils... A high consumption of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are found in most types of oils, including corn oil, may increase the likelihood that postmenopausal women will develop breast cancer. Similar effect was observed on prostate cancer. Other analysis suggested an inverse association between total polyunsaturated fatty acids and breast cancer risk.

I'm not alarmed about the cancer risk because I didn't cook with the product but I am less inclined to purchase a product with a high price tag if it contains cheap ingredients.